Beards have become a staple of men’s fashion, and the 20mm beard is no exception. It’s the sweet spot between a short stubble and a full beard, offering a rugged and refined look.
In this guide, we’re diving deep into the world of the 20mm beard, showing you how to achieve, maintain, and rock this style like a pro. Let’s dive in.
What’s a 20mm Beard?
A 20mm beard is about three-quarters of an inch long. It’s a versatile length that suits most face shapes, striking a balance between neatness and masculinity. But getting to this length and maintaining it requires a bit of know-how.
How Does a 20mm Beard Look Like?
A 20mm beard is a medium-length beard that’s about three-quarters of an inch long. This is perfect for adding definition and shape to the face without being too overbearing. The 20mm beard is dense enough to be noticeable and make a statement.
Characteristics of a 20mm Beard
- Length: It’s long enough to cover the skin underneath, offering a fuller look than stubble.
- Texture: The beard feels soft and has gained some volume and body.
- Appearance: It gives a rugged yet refined look, perfect for casual and formal settings.
How Long to Grow a 20mm Beard?
The growth time of a 20mm beard varies from person to person, depending on factors like genetics, health, and facial hair care practices. Yet a rough estimation is around 5 to 7 weeks.
Average Growth Rate:
- Facial hair grows roughly 1/2 an inch per month. So, reaching 20mm can take about 1.5 to 2 months.
- Growth can be faster or slower based on individual genetics and health.
Factors Affecting Growth:
- Genetics: Some men naturally grow hair faster than others.
- Diet and Health: An ideal diet with vitamins and proteins can promote hair growth.
- Beard Care: Regular cleansing and moisturizing can keep the hair healthy, possibly aiding in faster growth.
Benefits of Sporting a 20mm Beard
- Enhanced Facial Features: The 20mm beard length defines the jawline and enhances facial features. It adds a sense of symmetry and proportion to the face.
- Versatility in Styling: This length is versatile for different looks. You can keep it more casual or groom it for a formal appearance.
- Balance Between Groomed and Natural: It perfectly balances looking well-groomed and naturally rugged. It’s long enough to be styled but not so long that it demands extensive maintenance.
- Comfort and Manageability: It’s a comfortable length for most, avoiding the itchiness that often comes with shorter stubble and the potential unruliness of longer beards.
- Suitable for Various Settings: Whether a business meeting or a casual day out, a 20mm beard fits seamlessly in both professional and social settings.
- Facial Protection: The length protects the skin, potentially reducing acne and other skin irritations by shielding against external elements.
- Reflects Commitment to Grooming: Sporting a 20mm beard shows a commitment to personal grooming, as it requires regular trimming and maintenance to keep it looking its best.
Trimming Like a Pro
Once you hit the 20mm mark, regular trimming is essential. Invest in a good quality beard trimmer with length settings. Set your trimmer to 20mm and trim evenly.
Don’t forget to shape the edges for a clean look. If you’re unsure about doing it yourself, visiting a barber shop can help.
Daily Care and Maintenance for a 20mm Beard
Maintaining a 20mm beard involves a daily routine that ensures your beard looks its best and remains healthy. Here’s a breakdown of the essential daily care and maintenance steps:
- Use a Beard Wash: Regularly clean your beard with a specialized beard wash. This will help remove dirt, grime, and excess oil for beard health.
- Frequency: Wash your beard every 2-3 days, or more frequently if needed, depending on your lifestyle and skin type.
- Pat Dry: Gently pat your beard dry with a towel after washing. Avoid rubbing it harshly, as this can cause damage and frizz.
3. Hydrating and Nourishing:
- Apply Beard Oil: Daily use of beard oil is crucial. It hydrates your skin and keeps the beard soft and manageable. Choose an oil that suits your skin type and beard texture.
- Beard Balm for Control: A beard balm can provide extra control and conditioning if you have a particularly unruly beard.
5. Moisturizing the Skin:
- Skin Care: Don’t neglect the skin beneath your beard. A light, non-greasy moisturizer can help keep the skin hydrated and prevent dryness and flaking.
6. Trimming and Shaping:
- Trim Your Beard Daily: Even while maintaining a specific length, regular trimming is necessary to prevent split ends issue.
- Use the Right Tools: Invest in a good quality trimmer and scissors for any touch-ups you need to do between barber visits.
7. Diet and Hydration:
- Healthy Diet: A diet rich in proteins, minerals, and vitamins can help maintain a healthy beard.
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking adequate water is good for your body and your beard, as it helps keep the hair hydrated and healthy.
8. Sun Protection:
- Protect from Sun Damage: If you spend a lot of time outdoors, consider using a beard balm with SPF to protect your beard and skin from sun damage.
9. Nighttime Care:
- Before Bed Routine: Apply a light beard oil before bed to keep it conditioned overnight. This is particularly helpful in dry climates or seasons. Here are more tips on maintaining a healthy beard.
Styling Your 20mm Beard
Styling a 20mm beard is a blend of art and technique, offering a great opportunity to showcase your personal style while maintaining a well-groomed appearance. Here’s how you can style your 20mm beard to perfection:
1. Start with a Clean Slate:
- Wash Your Beard: Use a mild beard shampoo to clean your beard. This will remove dirt, oil, and dead skin cells, ensuring your beard is fresh and ready for styling.
- Dry Gently: Pat your beard dry with a towel. Avoid rubbing it vigorously, as this can cause frizz and damage the hair.
2. Comb and Detangle:
- Use a Beard Comb: Gently comb through your beard to keep it knot-free. This step is crucial for even trimming and styling.
- Direction Matters: Comb in the direction you want your beard to sit. This helps in giving it a neat, intentional look.
3. Trimming for Shape:
- Define the Neckline: Trim the neckline to create a clean, defined edge. Trimming just above your Adam’s apple is a good rule of thumb.
- Shape the Cheek Line: For a sharper look, define the cheek line by trimming any stray hairs above your beard’s natural upper limit.
- Even Trimming: Use a trimmer with a 20mm guard to maintain the length and ensure evenness throughout the beard.
4. Moisturizing and Conditioning:
- Beard Oil/Balm: Apply a quality beard oil or balm. This will moisturize both your beard and the skin underneath, reducing itchiness and keeping the hair soft.
- Spread Evenly: Ensure you evenly distribute the oil or balm throughout your beard for maximum effect.
5. Styling for the Day:
- Styling Wax/Product: Use a small amount of beard wax or styling product for additional hold. This is especially useful if you have unruly hair or want a more sculpted look.
- Hand Styling: Use your hands to shape your beard into the desired style. This could be a natural, straight look or a more styled, curved appearance.
6. Regular Maintenance:
- Daily Care: Make styling a part of your daily routine. Regular combing and applying beard products help keep your facial hair in optimal condition.
- Weekly Trimming: A weekly trim will help maintain the shape and length of your 20mm beard, keeping it looking its best at all times.
7. Experimenting with Styles:
- Tailor to Your Face Shape: Experiment with different styles that complement your face shape. A 20mm beard is long enough to play with different contours and angles.
- Seek Inspiration: Look at different beard styles for inspiration. You can tweak these styles to suit your personal preference and face shape.
8. Professional Grooming Sessions:
- Regular Barber Visits: A professional barber can provide expert trims and styling tips. They can also help you overcome any challenges you might face while maintaining your 20mm beard.
The beauty of the 20mm beard is its versatility. It suits a range of styles, from the rugged outdoorsman to the sleek city dweller. To see different styling options, take a look at our 16mm beard growth guide for ideas on slightly shorter styles.
When to Let It Grow
Feeling adventurous? If you decide to go beyond 20mm, check out our 1-year beard growth guide for tips on managing longer beards.
The 20mm beard is more than just a facial hairstyle, and it’s a statement. It reflects a commitment to grooming and a nod to contemporary style. By following these tips, you’ll ensure your beard is not just a facial feature but a highlight of your personal style.
Do you love shorter-length beards? Try our in-depth guide on mastering a 9mm beard.